Medicare Special Enrollment Periods
Medicare Annual Enrollment period is from October 15th until December 7th each year. During this time, you can join, switch, or drop your Medicare Advantage or Prescription Drug Plan. Your coverage will begin on January 1 of the following year.
However, there are other special election periods available to Medicare beneficiaries. On this page, I will touch on people that are moving to a new address in Arizona or are new to Medicare, whether by turning 65, retiring or losing your employer coverage. For more information go to our contact Ralph by filling out the contact form or just give Ralph a call at 602-390-8573
New to Medicare?
When you turn age 65 – Your Medicare Initial Enrollment Period (IEP) is your first window for signing up. The exact dates of your IEP depend on your date of birth, or on the date you began receiving disability benefits.
When you Retire or lose your employer health coverage – Your chance to join lasts for 2 full months after the month you lose your creditable coverage or you’re notified that your current coverage is no longer creditable, whichever is later.
If you Move –
- If you move to an address out of you plans service area,
- If you move to an address that’s still in your plans service area but now I have more plan options,
- If you just moved into, out of or currently live in an institution such as skilled nursing facility or long term care hospital,
- If you tell your plan before you move, your chance to switch plans begins the month before the month you move and continues for 2 full months after you move.
- If you tell your plan after you move, your chance to switch plans begins the month you tell your plan, plus 2 more full months
Open Enrollment Period
There are several other Special Enrollment periods available for the Medicare Beneficiary and a great resource is found at Medicare’s web site Medicare Special Enrollment Periods